Monday, November 13, 2006

SALAVERRY,PERU

SALAVERRY, PERU- NOVEMBER 13, 2006


One day and a half of sailing from Callao, we arrived at Salaverry, Peru. Arrangements had been made to the pilot station thru VHF radio regarding the schedule of berthing. They ordered to drop anchor first for clearance from port authorities before entering port. We dropped anchor at 8 in the morning then by 10 am, the ship was pratique granted. Berthing was scheduled at noontime.

From the anchorage we maneuvered for docking. The ship was secured to its position. The two remaining cargo holds were opened then unloading commenced at 3 pm. The port of Salaverry, like other ports in Peru is situated on the Pacific Ocean. It has no breakwater, thus our ship does not behave and kept on riding the rise and fall of the ocean swell. We kept on greasing the mooring ropes every change of watch to prevent abrasions and breakage of the ships mooring lines. The port only accommodates few ships on its two piers. On the same day, a vessel MV Century Seymour owned by my previous company berthed on the other side of the pier. They load bulk sugar bound for Savannah, Georgia, U.S.A. Ships of my former company frequently call a port in Peru and other South American countries. After my duty, I visited the ship expecting to meet my shipmates before when I was still a deck cadet. I found no acquaintance in their crew list but I read the names of my former Captains and senior deck officers in the list of their fleet. I talked with the crew on duty and told them about my first sea service in their company. Most of the crew has gone to shore just like my other shipmates who enjoyed their shore leave right after our ship berthed. After the visit, I came back to ship.

On the last day, I was granted a chance to visit the town of Salaverry because our Chief Officer asked me to pick up the 6 packs of cigarette he left in a bar owned by a Filipino. I got my shore pass and walked. Salaverry is a less populated town. No high rise buildings I have seen. Only colorful houses and small business establishments occupy the area. The town is tranquil, without traffic jams because of few cars in the streets. Adjacent to the town is the city of Trujillo, one of progressive cities in Peru. It is accessible via 15 minute taxi ride. I spent an hour at shore then immediately returned to ship after I’ve got the cigarettes.

November 15, 2006, the unloading at Salaverry was completed. The five cargo compartments of the ship had been emptied. The ship is under ballast condition, which means ballast tanks had been filled with seawater for ship stability to keep the vessel upright when sailing without cargo. We departed Salaverry and headed to the open sea. The engine had rung up when the harbor pilot disembarked. We altered course to south, bound to our loading port in Caleta Coloso, Republic of Chile.