Monday, November 06, 2006

ILO, PERU

ILO, PERU- NOVEMBER 6, 2006

We dropped anchor at Puerto Ilo pilot station. Peruvian maritime authorities boarded at 9 am. Cargo holds were opened for inspection by the agriculture inspectors. Berthing had been scheduled at 1 pm. Port authorities descended and we laid out mooring ropes for berthing. At 3 pm, the ship was finally docked. Swells and tidal fluctuations of the Pacific Ocean caused minor disturbances because the port has no breakwater. Only two ships docked on the other berth, a container ship and a bulk carrier loading fishmeal. On the time of my duty, unloading operations commenced. My shipmates without duty have already gone to shore. They wander around the city of Ilo, only several hundred meters away from the ship and a five minute walk. Our Chief Mate asked me to buy a local sim card in the city. I got my shore pass and left. I was still wearing my cover all company uniform and my mates outside easily recognized me. They made telephone calls, bought grocery items, and ate hamburguesa. I went to a money changer and exchanged dollars for Peruvian Soles, their local currency. I’ve got the sim card and immediately returned to ship. After my duty an 8 pm, we went to the city again together with my 2 off duty mates. We had long distance calls and roamed in the city streets of Ilo. The city is very peaceful. Peruvians are friendly to foreigners. The city streets criss-crossed on a hill slope overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Up on a hilltop, our ship is visible at a distance. We got tired of walking and finally returned to ship because all businesses have already closed.

On the next day at Ilo, the Second Mate asked me to go out again. We went out together with a fellow OS, got a taxi and headed to the supermarket. We bought variety of fruits, snacks, biscuits, cookies, and cigarettes. Then we took taxi again back to ship to catch up with the time of duty. On the same day, the unloading operation was completed. We spent 2 days at Puerto Ilo and sailed again to the next port of Callao, Peru.