Monday, October 30, 2006

CELEBRATING MY 27TH

CELEBRATING MY 27TH
LATITUDE 48-54 SOUTH, LONGITUDE 075-57 WEST
OCTOBER 30, 2006

October 30th, Monday morning, the sea state had improved, much better compared to the previous day. However, ship’s rolling motion continually exists and the crew has not recovered yet from sleepless nights.

Along the passageways and the mess hall, my shipmates greeted me and asked about preparations for the celebration. I ordered 4 cases of san Miguel beer and 1 case coca cola from the bonded store and put it into the cold provision storage. On that day, no maintenance work assigned to deck hands due to perilous situation still in effect outside. We stayed at the ship’s office the whole day and made stencil letterings to be used in deck signage and markings.

After the day’s work, the celebration began. My shipmates conferred at the mess hall. I was surprised when our Chief cook served 2 whole chicken lechon and pork head. I thanked him for his efforts in the preparation. My mates drank in moderation, while others although not drunk, looked like intoxicated due to head-spinning, brain- turning, and stomach-churning effects of the ship movements. My senior officers paid tribute to the occasion, had a can of beer and left. After midnight, we emptied 2 case of beer. I made a closing remarks and the party formally ended.